Basic dental care is important to prevent tooth decay and periodontal disease which can damage gum tissue and the bone that supports your teeth. Practicing proper dental care can shorten the time you have to spend at your local dentist, Dr. Rezaiyan at Spring Dental Associates in Silver Spring, MD.
Regular brushing and flossing rids the mouth of bacteria which causes bad breath, keeps your teeth whitened by preventing foods, drinks and tobacco stains and prevents tooth decay. Excellent dental care can greatly improve your overall health and make it possible to keep your teeth for a lifetime.
Proper Dental Care Methods
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day – once in the morning and before bed. Floss at least once a day. This removes plaque which can cause tooth decay and damage your teeth, gums, and bone.
- Use fluoride toothpaste which helps to prevent tooth decay and cavities.
- Use toothpaste that is approved by the American Dental Association.
- Avoid sugary foods which help plaque grow.
- Avoid tobacco products which can lead to gum disease and oral mouth cancer.
- Always brush your tongue either with a tongue cleaner or a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and do not brush too hard. This is bad for your enamel and can make your gums recede.
- Always visit your Silver Spring, MD dentist at least twice a year for checkups and cleanings.
Dental care should start for children as young as six months old. Your local dentist in Silver Spring, MD can assess the likelihood of future dental problems your child might have. If problems are anticipated, be sure your child goes to see the dentist before his first birthday or six months after the first primary teeth appear, whichever comes first. If your child has any dental problems resulting from an injury or developmental problem, see your Silver Spring, MD pediatric dentist immediately.
Dr. Rezaiyan at Spring Dental Associates in Silver Spring, MD recommends eating a healthy balanced diet. Good nutrition is important to avoid tooth decay and maintaining healthy gums. Always follow a good dental care routine at home and follow up with routine checkups.